Small Business Owners, We Salute You
I've heard a lot of people say they want to start a small business, but months and years go by and dololo (nothing). I think many people underestimate the sacrifices that go into starting your own business and sustaining it, especially if you're still employed full-time. One of the sacrifices small business owners have to make is giving up their leisure time - lazy and chilled weekends and holidays are a luxury focused start-up owners cannot afford! If you want to be an entrepreneur, you have to be willing to forego many pleasures.
To shed some light, a 2016 survey by Sage revealed that:
- 51% of South African business owners work more than 40 hours a week and 22% work more than 50 hours a week.
- Around 44% of local business owners have chosen their work over their family and 26% have taken less than five days holiday in the last year.
- A quarter admits that their personal relationships have been affected while making their business successful, but 29% say it was worth it.
- Furthermore, 29% of the country's business owners have cancelled a date because of work.
- Half of respondents in South Africa compromise taking holidays in order to make their business successful; 45% compromise their social life, and 37% compromise their own health.
The above stats may be two years old, but I am certain they haven't changed much. So, whilst many people are excited it's Friday because they can't wait to take it easy over the weekend, small business owners are thinking about all the work they need to do this weekend.
On a personal note, I was texting a friend last night, letting her know that I'll be in Durban this weekend, but sadly I won't get to see her. Why? Because I'll be there for work. Some of it isn't even paying, but it's worthwhile for my own learning and for building my personal and business brands.
Even though I won't get to see most of my friends, at least I'll get to spend time with my business partners who also happen to be my friends - so it's not so bad afterall! So... to my business partners and fellow small business or "side hustle" owners, cheers to a productive weekend!